NYS Training Authorization
NYS Training Authorization
The Training Authorization Letter is instituted to ensure that the student firefighter, fire chief/department and the state fire instructor know that an individual has the authorization to attend a training course delivered by the New York State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Prevention and Control and has obtained the necessary medical clearances to participate in strenuous firefighter training activities. In addition, 16 and 17 year old firefighters must obtain approval from a parent or legal guardian prior to attending and participating in any and all training courses delivered by the Office of Fire Prevention and Control.
A letter signed by a chief officer of the student’s agency shall be submitted prior to participation in ANY training course delivered by the New York State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Office of Fire Prevention and Control.
Further, it is the policy of the Schenectady County Office of the Fire Coordinator that students that attend the first night of a class without this Training Authorization Letter may be permitted to continue participation in the class.
- ALL COURSES
- The student firefighter shall submit to the state fire instructor a completed Training Authorization Letter signed by a chief officer, with the “The student listed below is authorizes to attend the training indicated” box checked AND INITIALED by the Chief Officer.
- Student Information section will be completed. If the New York State Training ID is not known, it may be left blank.
- Student must sign the letter in the space provided.
- A Training Authorization Letter must be submitted for each course attended.
- Courses Requiring the Use of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or Supplied Air Respirators (SAR):
- The student firefighter shall meet ALL requirements in #1, above; In addition:
- The “The student listed below has medical clearance to use Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), in accordance with 29 C.F.R. part 1910.134 for courses as required.” check box must also be checked AND INITIALED by the Chief Officer.
- Course Attendance by 16 and 17 Year Old Firefighters:
- Student firefighters 16 or 17 years of age must meet all requirements in #1 and #2 (for SCBA/SAR classes); In addition:
- Student firefighters 16 or 17 years of age must complete a Training Authorization Letter. This letter must be signed by a chief officer, the student firefighter and parent or legal guardian at registration for the first session of any course offered by OFPC.
- Any 16 or 17 year old student firefighter that does not submit a signed letter will not participate in the course.
Deputy Coordinator - Training
Police Facility Building
130 Princetown Plaza
Schenectady, New York 12306