Currently, the District Attorney’s Office is not conducting in-person conferences. You may communicate with our office to request a reduction of charge by e-mail, mail or fax. This process applies to traffic infractions only, not to vehicle and traffic law violations involving misdemeanors or felonies.
Please note: Due to the large number of requests received by the District Attorney’s Office it may take several weeks to receive a response to your request.
Answer your ticket(s) with the Court indicated on the ticket and follow the directions in the section called "Plead By Mail"
- The Court will mail you an acknowledgement of your plea. If you plead Not Guilty, the Court will return copies of your traffic ticket(s) to you. If you do not receive copies, of they are misplaced, you must contact the Court to request copies.
If you have been charged with a traffic infraction within Schenectady County, you may be eligible for a reduction of your charge(s). To work with the District Attorney's Office to request a reduction in charge(s) please:
- Make a copy of your ticket. The copy must be full-size and clear.
- Mail, Email or Fax your ticket(s) to the District Attorney's Office
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (518) 388-4256
- Mail: County of Schenectady
Office of the District Attorney
Attn: Traffic Tickets
612 State Street
Schenectady, NY 12305
- For any of the non-moving violations listed below, please attach/include documentation showing the issue has been corrected.
- Unregistered Motor Vehicle
- Uninspected Motor Vehicle
- Operating without a license
- Unlicensed Operator
- or an equipment violation
Once your request is received, an Assistant District Attorney will review the charges and your driver’s abstract. We will return an Application for Reduction of Charges form to you by email, mail or fax with further instructions. The application form will contain details regarding the negotiated plea offer, which you may accept or reject. Review this form and its instructions carefully.
Complete the Application for Reduction of Charges form by checking either the Accept or Reject box, complete the paragraph by printing your name, dating the form, signing the form and mailing the form to the Court where your ticket is pending.
Completed applications must be mailed to the Court where your ticket is pending. Do not mail the form to the District Attorney’s office, this will delay your case.
Accepted plea offers – If the Court accepts the agreed upon plea bargain, the Court will mail you a notification outlining any fines, surcharges or other conditions related to your acceptance. The Court will also provide further instructions on how to pay any fines or surcharges due.
Rejected plea offers – The Court will mail you a notification with a future date.
Contact the local Court where your ticket is pending for questions related to paying fines, scheduled Court appearances, or to request an adjournment.
The District Attorney’s Office will not negotiate traffic tickets by phone.
For general questions, please call the Traffic Ticket helpline: 518-388-4397.