All transactions related to Pistol Permits are done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call 518-388-4225 to schedule an appointment.
A firearms license, commonly referred to as a pistol permit, can only be issued in New York State by a designated licensing officer, which in Schenectady County is one of the duly elected County Judges.
Penal law 400.00 requires basic criteria to be established in order for a license to be issued. The applicant must demonstrate the following:
- Good moral character;
- Lack of conviction of a felony or a serious offense;
- Absence of any mental illness or confinement to any hospital/institution for mental illness; and
- Lack of good cause for denial of license.
An applicant must also:
- Be 21 years of age or older and a resident of Schenectady County for at least 6 months;
- Must have a New York State Driver's License or Non-Driver ID; (NEW)
- Have no felony convictions or other serious offense;
- Complete the Pistol Permit Application (PPB-3) in triplicate (3 copies - print double sided, single-sided will not be accepted). Please only include page 2 of the application if you have more than four (4) guns to register;
- Submit a letter to The Honorable Judge Matthew J. Sypniewski with application;
- Submit proof of successful completion of handgun safety training program;
- Have four individuals submit a character reference on your behalf directly to the sheriff's office before you submit your application; (Print double sided, single-sided will not be accepted)
- Be fingerprinted by the Schenectady County Sheriff; and
- Receive approval by the Schenectady County Sheriff who will forward application to Judge Sypniewski for final approval.
Reminder: Background checks are required for transactions between individuals. The background check must be done by a dealer and they can charge up to $10 for the background check. For more information please visit the New York Safe Act website.
- Forms and Applications
- Approved Training Programs
- American Firearms Training (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Learn to Shoot NY - also offers an online course (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Northeast Firearms (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Sportsman Club of Clifton Park (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Guan-Ho-Ha Fish and Game Club (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- The Indoor Gun Range (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Training House Saratoga (BASIC ONLY)
- Double Eagle Tactical Training, Inc. (BASIC ONLY)
- Public Safety and Education (PS&Ed) (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- American Tactical Systems: call (518) 274-1911 (BASIC ONLY)
- Pine Tree Rifle Club: call (518) 762-4033 (BASIC ONLY)
- Schenectady Training: contact Kirk Hulburt (518) 857-2764 (BASIC ONLY)
- Instructor Jason DeAngelis: call (718) 974-8312 (BASIC ONLY)
- Instructor Joseph DiCristofaro at Take It To the Bank (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Instructor Scott Carpenter: call (518) 376-3360 (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Schenectady County Sheriff Fingerprinting Information
The applicant must be fingerprinted at the Schenectady County Sheriff’s Office.
All references must be received before you can be fingerprinted.
YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL when all four references have been received.
Once you receive that letter you are ready to be fingerprinted.
Fingerprinting is done by appointment only. When ALL PAPER IS COMPLETE call 518-388-4300 ext 5135 to set up appointment. Appointments will be scheduled TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY BETWEEN 7:30AM – 2:30 PM AND THURSDAY NIGHTS 6:00PM – 9:00PM.
Bring your applications, letters to the Judge, safety course certificate, and bill of sale or co-registration form for your handgun(s). Include your certificates of disposition for any arrests and/or convictions.
Fingerprinting is done electronically.
The records are checked by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services and the FBI.
The fees for this service are $116.50 and may only be paid with a MONEY ORDER made payable to Schenectady County. The Sheriff is not authorized to accept bank checks, personal checks or credit cards.
No children are allowed to accompany you when you are fingerprinted.