All transactions related to Pistol Permits are done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Call 518-388-4225 to schedule an appointment.
Please review the Pistol Permit Instructions listed below. All necessary forms are linked below for your convenience.
To add/remove firearms, change your name, address, or occupation, please call the number above to schedule an appointment.
Please note: Pistol Permit Recertification is a NYS Police function. Any and all questions regarding recertification can be directed here.
- Transferring In or Out of Schenectady County
To Transfer Out of Schenectady County
Please call the number above to schedule a transfer out appointment. The fee is $10.00, and we will pack up your file and mail to your new county.
To Transfer In to Schenectady County
After transferring out of your previous county, we will receive your file in the mail and reach out via phone or mail to schedule an appointment to transfer you in.
- Forms and Applications
- Pistol Permit Instructions
- Pistol Permit Application (PPB-3)
- Character Reference
- Bill of Sale Form
- Application for Gunsmith or Dealer of Firearms
- Application for Advanced Firearms Training
- Advanced Firearm Training Information
- Firearm Co-Registration Form
A firearms license, commonly referred to as a pistol permit, can only be issued in New York State by a designated licensing officer, which in Schenectady County is one of the duly elected County Judges.Good moral character; Lack of conviction of a felony or a serious offense; Absence of any mental illness or confinement to any hospital/institution for mental illness; and Lack of good cause for denial of license.
Penal law 400.00 requires basic criteria to be established in order for a license to be issued. The applicant must demonstrate the following:
Reminder: Background checks are required for transactions between individuals. The background check must be done by a dealer and they can charge up to $10 for the background check. For more information please visit the New York Safe Act website.
An applicant must also
- Be 21 years of age or older and a resident of Schenectady County for at least 6 months;
- Must have a New York State Driver's License or Non-Driver ID; (NEW)
- Have no felony convictions or other serious offense;
- Complete the Pistol Permit Application (PPB-3) in triplicate (3 copies - print double sided, single-sided will not be accepted). Please only include page 2 of the application if you have more than four (4) guns to register;
- Submit a letter to The Honorable Judge Matthew J. Sypniewski with application;
- Submit proof of successful completion of handgun safety training program;
- Have four individuals submit a character reference on your behalf directly to the sheriff's office before you submit your application; (Print double sided, single-sided will not be accepted)
- Be fingerprinted by the Schenectady County Sheriff; and Receive approval by the Schenectady County Sheriff who will forward application to Judge Sypniewski for final approval.
- Approved Training Programs
- American Firearms Training (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Learn to Shoot NY - also offers an online course (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Northeast Firearms (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Sportsman Club of Clifton Park (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Guan-Ho-Ha Fish and Game Club (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- The Indoor Gun Range (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Training House Saratoga (BASIC ONLY)
- Double Eagle Tactical Training, Inc. (BASIC ONLY)
- Public Safety and Education (PS&Ed) (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- C & M Defense ( BASIC & ADVANCED)
- High Standard Training - Tom Driscoll (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- American Tactical Systems: call (518) 274-1911 (BASIC ONLY)
- Pine Tree Rifle Club: call (518) 762-4033 (BASIC ONLY)
- Schenectady Training: contact Kirk Hulburt (518) 857-2764 (BASIC ONLY)
- Instructor Jason DeAngelis: call (718) 974-8312 (BASIC ONLY)
- Instructor Joseph DiCristofaro at Take It To the Bank (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Instructor Scott Carpenter: call (518) 376-3360 (BASIC & ADVANCED)
- Schenectady County Sheriff Fingerprinting Information
The applicant must be fingerprinted at the Schenectady County Sheriff’s Office.
All references must be received before you can be fingerprinted.
YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL when all four references have been received.
Fingerprinting is done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 7:30AM – 2:30PM and Thursdays from 6:00PM to 8:00PM. Bring your applications, letters to the Judge, safety course certificate and any certificates of disposition.
The fee for this service is $116.50 and may only be paid with a MONEY ORDER payable to Schenectady County. The Sheriff is not authorized to accept checks, credit cards, or cash. NO CHILDREN are allowed to accompany you while you are fingerprinted.
What Happens Next:
· You will receive written notification from the Sheriff’s Department when your background check is complete.
· When the Judge completes his evaluation of your application, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL. If approved, you will receive an appointment notice.
· Your appointment is with the County Clerk’s Office: 620 State Street- 3rd Floor.
· Your permit will be issued at that appointment. There is a $10 fee due at the time of permit issuance. If you are adding more than one handgun, there is an additional fee of $3.00 per handgun. Information on additional handguns must have been submitted with your original application – any guns acquired after submitting your application will require an additional appointment.
· Payment can be made by cash or personal check payable to the Schenectady County Clerk.