The Schenectady County Department of Motor Vehicles is administered by the Schenectady County Clerk.
Beginning Tuesday, July 13, 2021, the Schenectady County Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will designate Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8:00am to 3:00pm, as walk-in-days with no appointment needed.
The DMV will process transactions on a first-come, first-served basis on these days, with no closure during the lunch hour. Appointments will be required on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and for permit exams. Appointments can be made below.
The DMV will continue to require that dealers use the drop box for transactions. Additionally, all requirements regarding residency have been lifted. For any questions, please send an e-mail to CountyClerk@schenectadycounty.com.
- If you cannot complete your reservation online, please call (518)388-4220, choose option 5 and leave a message with your name, phone number, and transaction type requested and we will call you back in the order your call was received.
- You will be asked to provide your name, address, and an email in order to schedule.
- Scheduling your appointment online will guarantee you the fastest appointment available.
- Please bring a digital or paper copy of your appointment confirmation with you to your scheduled appointment.
At your appointment
- Appointments are scheduled in 45 minute increments- you may show up at any time during your allotted appointment, not later. Service is not guaranteed if you miss your appointment window.
- You MUST wear a mask to enter the building and while in the building.
- You MUST maintain a social distance of 6 feet.
- No additional guests or children will be allowed in the building unless they are a party to the transaction. Minor children wishing to process an ID/permit transaction can be accompanied by ONE parent/guardian.
Due to limited support from NYSDMV, we may be unable to process certain transactions at this time.
Mail/Drop Box Transactions
Residents of any county are welcome to process transactions in our office through the mail or drop box.
All automotive dealers must use the drop-box to process transactions.
Please be advised: Processing time for mail and drop box transactions is currently 5-7 business days PLUS mailing time through USPS.
Transactions that CAN be processed through mail/ drop box:
- All registration transactions: original registrations, plate transfers, registration renewals, license plate replacements
- License renewals: eye exam must be in NYS Vision Registry or have report attached.
- Duplicate License/ Permit/ Non-Driver ID transactions
- Duplicate registrations or titles
Residents of other counties and automotive dealers may process transactions through mail or drop box. Our mailing address is:
Schenectady County DMV
2025 State Street
Schenectady, NY 12304
*Drop Box is located at the left side of the building.
- Registration Paperwork
- A completed and signed “Vehicle Registration/ Title Application” DMV form MV-82 (attached). Fill this out completely and sign the back. Please provide a phone number so that we can easily reach you.
- A photocopy of your NYS Driver’s license, permit or non-driver ID If you do not have NYS issued ID, we can accept photocopies of other proofs of identity that add up to six points based on the values listed on form ID-82 (available online).
- If vehicle is new to you: proof of ownership of the vehicle (NYS or out-of-state title). This must be signed by both buyer and seller. If you already have the vehicle titled in your name and only want to re-register the vehicle, or have already applied for a title in your name, we do not need proof of ownership. If multiple people are listed on the title and you are not the first party listed, please submit a copy of the title.
- A bill of sale showing your purchase price. A handwritten bill of sale must include: year, make, model, vin, name of buyer and seller, purchase price, and purchase date. You can use the DMV bill of sale, attached. Buyer and seller must sign the bill of sale.
- A completed Sales Tax Form DTF-802 (available online). Please note if the vehicle is a model year 2014 or newer, Section 6 must be completed by the seller.
- If you are transferring plates, you must check the “Transfer Plates” checkbox at the top of the MV-82 and provide the plate number. If you do not, you will be issued new plates and charged a license plate fee. Do not move your plates to the new vehicle and operate it until you receive your new registration sticker and documents in the mail.
- Proof of NYS Insurance on the vehicle in the name of the registrant. Check the effective date of the insurance card- we cannot process the transaction until the insurance is in effect.
- Payment: a blank personal check made payable to Schenectady County DMV, signed, with your name and vehicle info on the memo line. We will call to confirm the total cost with you before completing and depositing your check. Use the online DMV Registration Fee Calculator to determine your total, then add 8% sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle. Sales tax is not charged on DMV fees.
- License/Permit/Non-Driver Paperwork
- MV-44 License/Permit/Non-Driver ID Application
- A photocopy of your NYS Driver’s license, permit or non-driver ID If you do not have NYS issued ID, we can accept photocopies of other proofs of identity that add up to six points based on the values listed on form ID-44 (available online).
- If processing a license renewal you must have an eye exam recorded in the NYS Vision Registry OR submit an MV-619 completed by your eye doctor. Eye test not required for non-driver ID renewal.
- We CANNOT complete any name changes or license upgrades through drop box/ mail processing
- Payment: a blank personal check made payable to Schenectady County DMV, signed, with your name and vehicle info on the memo line. We will call to confirm the total cost with you before completing and depositing your check.
- Plate Surrenders
Please surrender plates in the drop box, they will be surrendered and a receipt will be mailed to the address on file. If you’d like the receipt mailed to a different address please include a note with the correct address. No additional forms or fees are required to surrender plates.
Additional information and forms are available from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles