Skip to main content


Schenectady County Community College

Over forty years ago, the Schenectady County Legislature saw fit to create new educational opportunities for our community as sponsor of Schenectady County Community College (SCCC).  Since then, SCCC has grown into a premier institution within the State University of New York (SUNY) system.  SCCC offers high-quality academic programs, broad access for students and responsiveness to community needs.  It offers transfer degrees, career degrees, and certification programs.

Today, the Schenectady County Legislature continues their commitment to SCCC because they continue to believe in the transformational power of education and how important it is to prepare our students for the jobs of the future. The County's investment into SCCC has helped facilitate the expansion of college programs, including Culinary Arts, Music and Drama, Healthcare, and Air Traffic Control (which uses the Schenectady County Airport Tower for real world training and experience).

Educational Programs and Facilities in Schenectady County

Certificate of Residency

To qualify for In-State tuition a student will need to obtain a Certificate of Residency from the county of residency. The County Finance department is responsible for issuing these certificates. You can email all the required information to

Application and materials need to be scanned and emailed or brought in person to County Finance, 620 State Street, 3rd Fl. Schenectady, NY 12305. (518) 388-4260

Special Instructions for Schenectady County Community College students.

You must obtain your certificate of residency directly from: Schenectady County Community College, Student Business Office, Elston Hall. The Schenectady County Finance Department does not issue certificates to Schenectady County Community College students. If you have any questions please call the College at 381-1346 or 381-1420.

For all other community colleges in New York State.

In accordance with New York State Education Law, Section 6301 each full-time and part-time student residing in New York State must file a Certificate of Residence. The County of Legal Residence for a New York State resident attending a community college contributes to the College a portion of the College's cost for providing services to the student. The basis for assessing counties for this money is the Certificate of Residence.

New Certificate Applications

Applicants/students asking for a new certificate will need to provide the  following separate items:

  • Proof  of where the applicant/student lives within the last 30 days – (date specific);
  • Copy of applicant/student driver’s license;
  • Proof of where the applicant/student lived one year ago from the date on the application;
  • Proof of where the applicant/student lived six months ago from the date on the application (date specific);
  • Certificate Application Complete 
  • Include a phone number in case the County has any questions

If the applicant/student has already had a certificate with Schenectady County  the following separate items need to be provided:

  • Proof of where applicant/student lived within the last 30 days- (date specific);
  • Copy of  applicant/student driver’s license;
  • Certificate Application completed 
  • Include a phone number in case the County has any questions
Accepted Proof or Residency

All proof must show name, Address and time frame.​​​​​
Utility Bills
Lease Agreements
Bank Statements (from actual month required)
Post Marked envelopes
Medical/Dental bills
Car Insurance cars or policies
Cell Phone Bills
Pay Stubs
Previous year's W2

Resident Alien Card (not a copy) VISA I-94 card

  • Resident Alien Card (not a copy)
  • VISA
  • I-94 card