Skip to main content

Certificate of Residency

Schenectady County, Department of Finance, Certificate of Residency E-Mail Application Procedure and/or to Schedule an Appointment in Person:

Click here to download the required application.

Certificate of Residence Information Sheet

The following items need to be emailed to: 

A. Applicants/students asking for a new certificate will need to provide the  following separate items:

  • Proof of where the applicant/student lived one year ago from the date on the application;
  • Proof of where the applicant/student lived six months ago from the date on the application (date specific);
  • Proof  of where the applicant/student lives within the last 30 days – (date specific);
  • Copy of applicant/student driver’s license;
  • Certificate completed and notarized.

B. If the applicant/student has already had a certificate with Schenectady County  the following separate items need to be provided:

  • Proof of where applicant/student lived within the last 30 days- (date specific);
  • Copy of  applicant/student driver’s license;
  • Certificate completed and notarized.

Please remember to include a phone number in the email, should the County have any questions. 

Once the County receives the required information, it will issue the certificate via email.    

Applicants/students are required to mail the notarized application with original signature to the following address: Schenectady County, Finance Department, 620 State St., Schenectady NY  12305. 

Questions regarding Certificate of Residence can be directed to the Department of Finance at: (518) 388-4260.                       

Schenectady County Community College Students
You must obtain your certificate of residency directly from: Schenectady County Community College, Student Business Office, Elston Hall. The Schenectady County Finance Department does not issue certificates to Schenectady County Community College students. If you have any questions please call the College at 381-1346 or 381-1420.

For all other community colleges in New York State, in accordance with New York State Education Law, Section 6301 each full-time and part-time student residing in New York State must file a Certificate of Residence. The County of Legal Residence for a New York State resident attending a community college contributes to the College a portion of the College's cost for providing services to the student. The basis for assessing counties for this money is the Certificate of Residence.

A resident of New York is one who has maintained legal residence in the state for one year and in the county for six months immediately preceding the first day of classes.

To qualify for in-state tuition, a student must submit a Certificate of Residence. Failure to submit a Certificate of Residence will result in the student being billed the out-of-state tuition rate.

Applications cannot be submitted sooner than 60 days before classes start and must be obtained within 30 days of classes beginning.

Certificates of Residence are issued Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 5:00 (9:00 to 4:00 during July and August) by:

Schenectady County Finance Department
620 State Street
3rd Floor
Schenectady, NY 12305
(518) 388-4260


Downloadable applications:

Note: These forms are fillable PDF forms meaning that you can type your information into the fields.


Fill in the required information. Bring the completed application to the Schenectady County Finance Department along with the required proofs listed below. The application should not be signed until you are in front of office staff.

Required Proof:

  • Driver’s license or permit
  • One year’s proof of residency in New York State (must be dated one year before classes begin, e.g. Fall Semester requires proof from July or August of the year before; Spring Semester requires proof from November, December or early January).
  • 6 month’s proof of residency in Schenectady County (must be dated 6 months before classes begin, e.g. Fall Semester requires proof from February or March; Spring Semester requires proof from June or July).
  • Proof of current Schenectady County Residency (proof from list below must not be more than 30 days old).

Acceptable types of Proof (all proof must show name, address and time frame required):

  • Utility bills
  • Lease agreements
  • Bank statements (from actual month required)
  • Post marked envelopes
  • Medical/dental bills
  • Car insurance cards or policies
  • Cell phone bills
  • Pay stubs
  • Previous year's W2

Note: If you are not a US Citizen, you must bring proof of status in country. Types of proof include:

  • Resident Alien Card (not a copy)
  • VISA
  • I-94 card