All transactions related to Pistol Permits are done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call 518-388-4225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A firearms license, commonly referred to as a pistol permit, can only be issued in New York State by a designated licensing officer, which in Schenectady County is one of the duly elected County Judges.
Penal law 400.00 requires basic criteria to be established in order for a license to be issued. The applicant must demonstrate the following
- Good moral character.
- Lack of conviction of a felony or a serious offense.
- Absence of any mental illness or confinement to any hospital/institution for mental illness
- Lack of good cause for denial of license
An applicant must also:
- Be 21 years of age or older and a resident of Schenectady County for at least 6 months.
- Must have a New York State Driver's License or Non-Drive ID. (NEW)
- Have no felony convictions or other serious offense.
- Complete the Pistol Permit Application Form in triplicate (3 copies - print double sided Single-sided will not be accepted). Please only include page 2 of the application if you have more than four (4) guns to register.
- Submit a letter to The Honorable Judge Matthew Sypniewski with application.
- Submit proof of successful completion of handgun safety training program.
- Have four individuals submit a character reference on your behalf directly to the sheriff's office before you submit your application. (Print double sided Single-sided will not be accepted)
- Be fingerprinted.
- Receive approval by the Schenectady County Sheriff who will forward application to Judge Sypniewski for final approval.
Reminder: Background checks are required for transactions between individuals. The background check must be done by a dealer and they can charge up to $10 for the background check. For more information please visit the New York Safe Act FAQ.
NYS PISTOL PERMIT RECERTIFICATION
Pistol Permit Recertifications are currently only required for those permits originally issued before January 15, 2013. If your permit was issued before January 15, 2013, the dealine to submit your recertification is January 31, 2018.
Please visit the New York State Police website for more information and/or to recertify your Pistol Permit.
Pistol Permit holders may request that information concerning a firearms license application or firearms license not be a public record. To opt-out, please print and mail the completed form to to the Schenectady County Clerk's Office to keep your information from being released.
Mail compelted forms to:
Schenectady County Clerk
Attention: Pistol Permits
620 State Street, 3rd floor
Schenectady, NY 12305
620 State Street 3rd Floor
Schenectady, NY 12305