Schenectady County is seeking a Deputy Commissioner of Finance with demonstrated excellence in financial management and accounting. This position involves performing a full range of management, accounting, business management and budgeting functions. The position reports to the Commissioner and manages and supervises professional and other office staff. Areas of responsibility include:
• Manage and maintain the integrated financial and accounting system.
• Prepare the County’s financial reports and county wide financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
• Assist with Strategic Fiscal Management - the Deputy works closely with the Commissioner to manage the County’s fiscal condition and to participate in the development of the County’s long-term fiscal strategies.
• Assist the County Manager and Commissioner to develop and manage the $300M proposed annual budget.
• Identify, recommend and assist in the development of cost-effective strategies for implementation in County operations.
• Identify, recommend and assist in the maximization of revenues.
• Manage and supervise the Accounts Payable, Treasury, Purchasing and Payroll Divisions.
• Provide fiscal management to ensure proper accounting and internal control procedures are maintained.
• Prepare or supervise preparation of various State, Federal and other claims for reimbursement.
• Prepare analytical reports.
• Represent the Commissioner as needed with the public, the legislature, other governmental agencies and private organizations.
• Perform a variety of related duties as required.
Candidates shall possess a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and shall have ten (10) years of experience in the management and maintenance of an accounting system and the preparation of annual financial statements. Three (3) years shall have included management responsibilities in the field of accounting and financial management.
Salary range $78,315 - $87,181. Excellent benefit package includes New York State retirement, generous health, dental, vacation, sick and personal leave.
Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and cover letter by April 20, 2012
Schenectady County is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.