Why should I worry about lead in my home?
- Lead in the home can cause children and pregnant women to unknowingly be exposed to lead hazards and possibly poisoned by them.
- Lead Poisoning can cause major development and behavioral problems in growing babies and young children.
- Lead is commonly found in the paint used in older homes built before 1978. Most homes in the City of Schenectady were built before 1978, and many contain lead in their indoor and outdoor paint.
How can Schenectady County help me make sure my home is safe?
The Lead-Safe Neighborhood Program offers FREE lead inspections to many homes in the City of Schenectady and in Schenectady County. If a lead hazard is found in your home, program staff will make sure the hazard is cleaned up, so your children will not be exposed to lead. The county has recently teamed up with the City of Schenectady to provide money to homeowners to remove lead-hazards from qualifying homes within the city.
You may qualify for a FREE lead inspection
- Do you live in the 12303, 12304, 12307 or 12308 zip codes?
- Do you have children under the age of 6 in the house or are you pregnant?
- Are you a renter, resident, or a homeowner?
If you answered Yes to these questions, you can!
Have Questions? Need more information?
Want to schedule a lead inspection or see if you qualify for one?
Call Lisa at Schenectady County Public Health Services: 386-2818